Goodbye Comfort Zone... Hello Local Mission Field Adventure...


So we have an awesome opportunity coming up in about 2 weeks. And just what is this awesome opportunity? It is a one-day mission trip. And if you live in Florida then it is right in your backyard! For a few hours of an afternoon our mission team will host a Spa Day for a group of women with some type of disability. The stations at Spa Day include: footwashing, toenail painting, fingernail painting, hair styling, applying make-up and glamour shots. The most common response I receive when I tell ladies about this opportunity is ... I don't know how to do any of that. WELL..... for those of you who know me well or even marginally you know I am not a finger painting, hair styling, hey, let me show you how to wear your make-up type of person. However, the first-time ever that I painted a lady's fingernails a few years back I can't tell you who received the bigger blessing. It took me longer than usual, the job was far from perfect, but my fingernail customer was smiling ear to ear. Why? Just because I took the time to put her hand in mine, make a little small talk, and paint her nails a beautiful ocean blue. Whoa,wait a minute... did I just say I made small talk? There again I am outside my comfort zone. I am just not good at making small talk with strangers. But put yourself in these women's shoes. This is their one week out of a year to break away from their regularly scheduled life to do things they never get to do and receive extra special attention from people not because we have to but because we want to. And isn't that what Jesus Christ asks of us... to think of others as more significant than ourselves? 




Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Philippians 2:3  





So I say a prayer for help from God. Calling the ladies by name (yay! everyone wears name tags!!) I ask about their week at camp, compliment their new hairstyle, talk about the color they chose for their nails. Whatever! After all it's not about me, it's about making sure these ladies are having a great time and being loved on. So what do you say? Will you consider joining us for Spa Day? Be Bold! Be Strong! Be Courageous! Snub your nose at that old "Comfort Zone" and join our mission team. Meet some of the sweetest, fun-loving ladies that attend the Special Touch Retreat. Help give them a week to remember and give yourself a day you will always treasure!  






"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9





Comments

Anonymous said…
We cannot express how much we appreciate Kim and all who help with God's Share Program!!! You are such a blessing to us and to those that we serve!!! One of our most loved testimonies is when one of the Lady Guests was so touched by the outpouring of love at the Spa Day - that she gave her heart to Christ right there after having her photo taken for the Glamour Shoot....Priceless!!